New rules on what is permitted in hand luggage will take effect on 6 November 2006. Liquids, gels and aerosols are only allowed in hand luggage in small quantities (no more than 100 ml per item) and if correctly packaged. These rules will apply to all passengers departing from or changing planes at EU airports.
The new rules cover liquids such as water and other beverages, gels, pastes, lotions and the contents of aerosol cans. Toiletries such as toothpaste, shaving cream, hair gel, lip gloss and creams also fall under the rules.
These are the rules for liquids in your hand luggage:
- You can only take liquids and gels in containers of no more than 100 millilitres on board the aircraft.
- These containers must be carried in transparent plastic bags. (See Photo above)
- There is a limit of one transparent plastic bag per person.
- The volume of the transparent plastic bag may not be greater than 1 litre.
- The transparent plastic bag must be re-sealable.
You may bring a suitable plastic bag from home. During the introductory period, free transparent plastic bags will also be given out at all Dutch airports.
There are two exceptions to the above rules:
- Baby food needed during the flight;
- Medicines needed during the flight.
Shopping at airports and on board the flight
You can still make purchases, including duty-free purchases, after ticket and/or passport control and on board European airline flights. Liquids and gels that you buy after ticket and/or passport control or on board will be packed and sealed for you as necessary by the shop or cabin personnel. The seal is valid for one day. If you must change planes, you may not break the seal until you reach your final destination.
Keep your liquids separate
When passing through the security check for hand luggage, you must place your liquids separately in the bin for X-ray screening. Your containers of liquids must fit comfortably in the transparent plastic bag, and the bag must be closed. Coats, jackets and large electrical appliances such as laptops must also be handed in separately to be checked.
Versleep deze component om hem te verplaatsen